Web designing encompasses many different skills and disciplines in the production and maintenance of websites. Various areas of web design include web graphic design, user interface design, standardized code, and proprietary software including authoring, user experience design, and search engine optimization.
Web designing is an integral part of today’s IT sector. Web designing is used to build and plan websites. Generally, web design is about dealing with the development process of any website. From a career perspective, web design is a good option and opportunity to start a career in the IT industry. Web designers design websites, web pages, and web applications for government or non-governmental organizations, businesses, industries, and corporate firms to establish their online identity.
What does a web designer do?
A web designer uses many things to create a website structure, such as text, fonts, images, colors, markup language, information architecture, HTML, and other interactive elements. In other words, web designing is a process in which a web designer enables visitors to access a web page with multiple links, graphics, images, etc. on a single platform.
Web designers work on any kind of website, from an interactive education site to a shopping online site.
The main role of a web designer are:
- To discuss with customers what they want their site to do and who will use it.
- Deciding which branding, text, color, and background to use
- Drawing a design plan, showing the structure of the site, and connecting the different parts together
- Create a page and positioning buttons, links, and images using design software
- Adding multimedia features, such as sound, animation, and video
- Testing and design and site improvements, until everything works as planned
- Uploading the site to the server for online publication
Eligibility to become a web designer
- To take admission in diploma and certificate courses, candidates must have passed 10th class or 12th class in any stream from a recognized board.
- To take admission in the Bachelor’s degree, candidates must have passed the 12th standard or equivalent examination (diploma/certification) in any discipline from a recognized board.
- To take admission in PG courses, candidates should have a Bachelor’s degree in any stream from a recognized college/institute/university.
Apart from this, candidates should have a 1 to 2 years diploma in web designing or 6 months to a 1-year certificate in web designing. Most institutes/colleges do not put any age limit for diploma courses.
You can also take a higher education course, such as a foundation degree, HND, or a degree in a design or multimedia subject. Relevant topics include:
- Web Design and Development
- Digital Media Development
- Multimedia Design
- Interactive computing
You will require a good working knowledge of HTML and experience writing web pages in combination with code. This can be even more useful if you have knowledge of some of the following design and programming tools:
- Dreamweaver and Photoshop
- net framework
Types of web designer job roles
Many types of jobs nowadays require a web designer. The following are some of the job profiles that web designers can take after acquiring the necessary skills and qualifications.
- Design and Layout Analyst: The Design and Layout Analyst is a person responsible for the design of layout editors and pages or other materials for print or online use.
- Web Application Developer: Web application developers are responsible for website designing, modification, coding, and layout, etc. as per the client’s specifications.
- Front-end developer: The role of a front-end web developer is to implement the visual elements/effects that users see and interact with within the web application.
- Back-end developers: Backend web developers play an important role in the integration of work frontend developers and they are also responsible for server-side web application logic.
- Web Analyst: There are a variety of duties of a web marketing analyst, including the collection and interpretation of data in relation to the implementation and development of online client behavior, website analysis, online advertising, and search engine optimization.